AFFIRMATIVE ATHLETICS is an after school, ‘at-risk’ youth sport program for continuing education and middle schools that champions positive and critical thinking and inspires teamwork in a friendly yet competitive environment while building community within any institution. These programs are:
AFFIRMATIVE FLAG FOOTBALL (AFFL) – Founded in 2005. It is a twelve-week, 7-on-7 flag football program which breaks down into one preseason day, eight regular season games, Divisional championship, ATLAS BOWL (championship) .
ALPHA DIVISION: Hollywood RAIDERS, Colorado BRONCOS, Las Vegas CHIEFS, Sacramento CHARGERS.
OMEGA DIVISION: Anaheim RAMS, San Jose SEAHAWKS, Phoenix CARDINALS, Golden State 49ERS.
AFFIRMATIVE ATHLETICS BASKETBALL (AABL) – Founded in 2006. It is a thirteen-week, 3-on-3 basketball program which breaks down into one preseason game, eight regular season games, one playoff conference semi-final, the Conference Final, the AABL CHAMPIONSHIP.
ALPHA CONFERENCE: Anaheim CLIPPERS, San Francisco WARRIORS, Oakland MAVERICKS, Nevada ROCKETS, Colorado NUGGETS.
OMEGA CONFERENCE: Hollywood LAKERS, San Diego KINGS, San Jose SONICS, Las Vegas SPURS, Arizona SUNS.
THE DETAILS …
- Signed ‘Player Conduct Contracts‘ hold youth accountable in upholding positive, constructive behavior and school responsibilities on and off the playing field.
- Each player receives their own Affirmative Athletics journal filled with inspirational quotes to affirm positive values, weekly personal and team performance self ratings and questions for teammates to initiate constructive dialogue.
- Weekly newsletters with season game scores, highlights and statistics are distributed throughout the facilities or schools to build community. These newsletters also highlight achievements outside the league (i.e. – good test scores, excellent school behavior, etc.).
- At our season’s end, we host award ceremonies to honor every teams’ positive contribution to their teachers and communities. We honor team achievement and individual players before officially crowning our league champions. The whole afternoon is designed to uplift and bring the entire community together in a positive space.
Youth that have participated in the Affirmative Athletics program have:
- Decreased in-dorm gang fighting by 90%
- Taken on and excelled at facility leadership duties by 70%
- Modified behavior with probation officers and facility teachers by 90%
- Achieved better academic performance by 80%